[Gvsig_english] POTENTIAL ERROR/BUG gvSIG 1.9 (BN 1253) -- tablesaccept duplicate names

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue May 11 08:21:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

Ogr2ogr tries nowadays to avoid this problem by trimming  the field
names first to 10 character, and if it finds dublicates after that, trim
the dublicates again to 8 craracter and add a numeric index (_1, _2
etc.) to the end.  See chapter Creation Issues from the ogr shapefile
driver manual page http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________

	Simon Cropper  wrote:

	Hi,

	While editing a shapefile I entered a number of field names that
were 12 characters long, with the distinguishing characters being in the
last two characters (e.g. AAAAAAAAA_1, AAAAAAAAAA_2).

	xBase Tables and tables associated with shapefiles should not
have fieldnames >10 characters long. Instead of baulking at this and
flagging to me that the names were identical once trimmed to 10
characters the program just trimmed the names to 10 characters and saved
the file.

	This is a big problem that should be easily captured.

	--

	Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper
	Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd