[Gvsig_english] determining length of lines in a polyline layer

Sal Garfi sal.garfi at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 8 12:31:18 CET 2010

Dear All,

I have recently digitised linear features in Google earth that I have converted from kml format to shape files. I wanted to tabulate the total distances of these lines in gvSIG so I used the available facility in vector line tools in Sextante. However, the distances were on average 95% less than the distances noted in the features' properties in Google Earth. I then used gvSig's own facility for determining lengths of polylines and these were the same as those determined in Sextante. I'm working in WGS84 - so what could be causing the differences? And which system is correct, Google Earth or gvSIG?

All the best,
Sal Garfi