[Gvsig_english] Additional functionalities for gvSIG 1.9 / 1.10

Antonio Falciano afalciano at yahoo.it
Fri Oct 29 11:00:08 CEST 2010

Il 29/10/2010 10.16, Wolfgang Qual ha scritto:
> Dear gvSIG users,
>
> the Department of Health and Environment of the City of Munich would
> like to announce a few new tools for gvSIG 1.9 / 1.10.
> These tools were developed by IVER and CSGIS on behalf of the Department
> of Health and Environment.

Hi Wolfgang,
this is a great news! Many thanks to the Department of Health and
Environment of the City of Munich! This is the power of the open source
software!!! :)

> Descriptions of the new tools:
>
> 1) Option to save project with relative path
> Into the Project Properties, it will be an option to choose if
> paths would be saved as absolute or as relative. In this
> case, they will be relatives to the .gvp project path.

Very useful. It increase the portability of gvSIG project (.gvp).

> 2) Copy and Paste geometries
> enables the user to copy and paste geometries between
> layers. Attributes associated to the geometry will also be
> copied if second layer has the same type of data. If not,
> attributes of the copied geometry will take deffault values.
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-geoproces

I have already tried and it works like a charm! ;)

> 3) Geoprocesses
> 3.1) “Lateral Buffer”: new type of Buffer for lines that will create
> a rectangular polygon involving the line laterally with a
> defined distance, and ending exactly at the end of the line.

This one sounds very useful too!

> 3.2) Split lines in equidistant sections: new geoprocess that
> allows to split lines in equidistant sections.
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-copygeom

This tool remembers of linear referencing (or dynamic segmentation).
It can be very useful too.

> 4) Field calculator
> option to add consecutive numbers to attribute tables
> (according to ArcView 3.2's function "rec"). The new
> function can be combined with mathematical expressions
> (e.g. Rec()+1)
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-consecnum

This one was just covered in part by SEXTANTE "Tools for vector layer"
--> "Autoincrement value" tool, however it's another good improvement.
It can also be used to concatenate the rec numbers as strings into other
fields, great!

> 5) Duplicates Function
> option to select duplicates in an attribute table. This
> allows the user to identify duplicate records in a selected
> column.
> -->  http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-selduplic

Very interesting! I have to try it yet...

> So far, only 1) has been integrated into the installation package for
> gvSIG 1.10. The rest of the new tools is available
> as _separate installers_ on the osor-homepage
> (http://www.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-selduplic)

Just a few questions to gvSIG developers:
Will these new tools be integrated in the next version of gvSIG (like
NavTable) or remain as separate extension?
Will these tools be ported into SEXTANTE library as gvSIG algs for an
useful and better integration of them? I think that this is a good
point: is it better to have standalone tools or tools which can be used
together (i.e. in a SEXTANTE model)?

> We hope that you will find these tools useful. Please post your
> experiences with these new functionalities on this list!
> Any comments are welcome!
>
> Best regards,
> Wolfgang

Cheers,