[Gvsig_english] world file and on-the fly transformation for vector layers

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 10:12:52 CEST 2010

I thing adding support for .wld files for CAD formats
makes sense, but not for any GIS vector data formats.
A GIS data file like ESRI Shapefile already contains
geometries with geographic coordinates. Most users also
will not associate the .wld file with shapefiles.
So a stale .wld file left in the file system (e.g. because
a delete operation did not take care of removing it), can
have the most confusing effects for the user.

I can see several solutions:

1. Add the ability to compute affine transformations from
.wld files to SEXTANTE's Transform.

2. Add the ability to read the simple point format in a
.wld file to the "Transform" process of the Topology
Extension (available via the Geoprocessing toolbox).

3. Ask user to compute and apply transformation if a CAD
file is added to a view and a .wld file exists.

Ben