[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.11 RC1 Select by buffer zone problem

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Fri Apr 1 13:56:50 CEST 2011

Hi Ruth,

I get this problem on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux. I have
done some further investigation and the problem seems to be related to
the regional settings on my computers. We use a point as a decimal
symbol not a comma. The comma is used as a grouping symbol.

I have run the 'select by buffer' tool with 6 different buffer sizes to
show you the problem. In the list below the first number is the buffer
width I entered (in metres), the second value is the buffer width that
gvSIG calculates (this is the value from the log file):
1.00  100.0
10.00  1000.0
100.00  10000.0
1,000.00  1.0
10,000.00  10.0
100,000.00   100.0

You can see a pattern here. gvSIG is misinterpreting the decimal point
as a grouping symbol.

Frank.

Frank Sokolic
GIS Solutions