[Gvsig_english] gvSIG mapping libraries & Eclipse RCP, proof of concept

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Mon Apr 11 13:14:58 CEST 2011

Hello,
A little hint:  somewhere in gvSIG there is a class called "java.lang.DXF-something". I had to remove it because java.lang seems to be a forbidden package name and the resulting plugin would not start.

As for the license issue: strictly speaking, the only way to use a GNU/GPL plugin in an Eclipse RCP application is by creating a "license exception", which is not always possible. A clarifying article here:

http://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/epl-gpl-commentary/

There are some Eclipse RCP applications and Eclipse plugins licensed under GNU/GPL. In those cases, I presume one of the following two things are happening:

- they have applied the "license exception"

- they are not distributing code or libraries from the Eclipse project in their packages/installers, so they let the final user be the one who "infringes" the GNU/GPL license by merging EPL and GPL software in the final application.

Regards,
Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)