[Gvsig_english] Proposal for Google Summer of Code 2011 - gvSIG Mini

andrew_peru rummagebin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:42:27 CEST 2011

Sounds interesting,  do you mean:
You would be returning points for static location readings ("where am I"
functionality)?
Lines and polygons for tracking changing positions along routes or
perimeters?

I think a really important feature would be the ability to control which
device/service is providing the geolocation.

Current browser based geolocation on android devices does not allow you to
specify GPS versus WIFI versus the nearest telephone central/exchange.
Therefore in certain situations your position appears to jump around the
map, when for example you lose GPS satellite reception and the browser
attempts to fill the gap with data from WIFI of telephone infrastructure.

I don't know if this is the case with gvSIG mini, but I've seen a similar
behavior with it, where I haven't moved but gvSIG's geolocation fluctuates
between my real position and a known cellphone tower at a distance of 1
kilometer.

For many users' purposes it would probably be better if the phone just told
them that it lost GPS and allowed them to explicitly switch to other
geolocation sources.

Se entiende? Buena suerte,

Andrew