[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Simon Cropper (The fosGIS Workflow Guides) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Aug 2 07:25:16 CEST 2011

On 02/08/11 15:14, Klaus Schaefer wrote:
> Yesterday, after a long days work on a shape file layer, I copied it to use
> it as a template for another new layer. I opened the new, copied layer and
> deleted the table entries to have a "fresh" table. After saving I recognized
> that it was the same physical shape file as the original layer. All my work
> from the day was lost! Is it a bug or is it the intention of the "copy
> layer" function to not really provide a copy but a reference to the original
> layer only...?

Klaus,

Copy actually makes a *copy of the entry to in the Table-of-Contents*,
which can be styled in various ways BUT ACTUALLY points to the same file.

If you wanted *a physical copy the file* you needed to 'Export' the
shapefile.

Unless you made a backup you will have lost your data.

On the off chance check to see if a backup of the table exists in the
directory. Also, if you have not saved the project yet,
*cancel everything without saving* and the changes will not be committed.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper
    Website Administrator
    http://gis.fossworkflowguides.com
    The fosGIS Workflow Guide
    (c) Simon Cropper CC-BY-SA 3.0 Australia
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/au/deed.en