[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 12:46:12 CEST 2011

Note, however, that this is not a data source manager,
like ArcCatalog. It allows the user to better manager
layers by arranging them into categories, but it has
no support for copy, rename or deletion operations
that work on the actual data sources (such as Shapefiles).
So while it is certainly a useful extension, it does
not solve the problem discussed here.

Btw., I would prefer an open source ArcCatalog
equivalent to be implement as a stand-alone application,
independent of gvSIG. Also, I'd probably implement
it in C++, on top of GDAL/OGR and with a Qt or wxWidgets
GUI. That would make it fast, small, easy to distribute
and useful for users of any GIS.

Cheers,

Ben