[Gvsig_english] copying shape file layers

Johannes Valenta spatialjoe at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:27:47 CEST 2011

Hi all,

now you guys made me think about copying features, files, objects. Puuh.
Let's stick with the copy text example.
If you will, copying a piece of text within a text document is like copying
a feature within any layer (sic!), which you can do with the nice extension
*copy&paste features* which was kindly provided by the city of Munich. You
can alter the copy as you like and the original feature remains untouched.
For copying the whole text document you always want to use "save as" within
your favorite text processing software. That's windows style, isn't it?
The same procedure applies for generating a physical copy of any loaded
layer within gvSIG as a whole - windows style again. OK, you will use
"export to"...
Of course you can also use the explorer to copy and paste documents as well
as shapefiles ord dwgs, dxfs and so on. Surely you will recognize that a
shapefile is a collection of at least three single files - as long as you
use the explorer. ArcCatalog for instance will hide away this
collection-state by displaying only one entry. Well, probably it was meant
to make it easier to use...

So Klaus' data got messed up, sh** happens. I am sure everybody reading this
list knows the emotions evoked by such a mess.
I also know this mess happened the last time!
Take it easy!

Best,

Johannes