[Gvsig_english] 12 Suggestions to Improve gvSIG Usability

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Thu Feb 10 23:53:20 CET 2011

Kevin

On 11/02/11 05:23, Kevin Wells wrote:

[snip]

> 1. Eliminate the bouncing that occurs when toolbars are turned on and
> off.

+1, particularly bouncy when editing a shapefile and the command window
appears.

> 2. Make the views, tables, and maps ready to use when they are first
> created by having them larger and near the center.

+1, the other issue here is the 'hot-spot' to grab the bottom right
corner is relatively small and at times attempts to grab it results in
the background being selected and the window you were trying to select
disappearing.

> 3. When gvSIG starts have a view open and the program immediately ready
> to add data.

Not sure about this. New projects require some level of setup prior to
data adding new spatial data.

It would be good however if the software opened to a dialog giving you
the option of (a) starting recent projects, (b) open a new project, and
even (c) open a new project with view open.

> 4. Have some visual space around a layer after using *zoom to layer*.

+1 to infinity. I agree with this completely and have voiced my desires
on this list before. The user should be able to set a buffer distance,
as you suggested, in the preferences section.

[snip]

> 6. After adding an element to a map have the cursor automatically
> change to the *select by rectangle* arrow.

-1. Don't agree. My preference is the tool you have selected remains
selected until you unselect it. At present, tools regularly loose focus
between operations, especially when you add new elements, resulting in
users having to reselect a tool immediately prior to using it.

[snip]

> 10. Have a much smaller command line area when editing mode is started.

I don't have a particular issue with the size of the command line but it
appearing and disappearing when editing a file is distracting as the
whole view jumps.

My preference would be to have the command line appear in a separate
window, disassociated from the main program. Something like a terminal
window in Linux.

> Many users do not use the command line for edits.

I curious, how do you know this?

> 11. Have a view or map immediately open after it is created. This
> reduces to one the number of clicks needed to create and open a map or
> view.

+1

> 12. Have the default names given to views and maps be *View* and *Map*
> instead of *Untitled*.

Personally I think the whole project manager needs an overhaul. View and
map lists should provide more information in the list available. For
example what projection the view is, when it was created, etc. at least
that data that is contained in the properties box.

Good list Kevin. Hopefully some of these requests may be addressed
before version 2 is released.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Principal Consultant