[Gvsig_english] Why gvSIG CE came about & CLA

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 10:08:26 CEST 2011

Dear all --

Since there is obviously a real interest to know
more about the reasoning behind
gvSIG CE, let me explain a few things.
Please note that these are my own, personal thoughts
and motivations. I cannot speak for all gvSIG CE team
members.

Firstly, on the matter of that CLA.
Just to clarify: I don't think a CLA is always a bad thing.
I just don't see the necessity in this case.
Anyway, it is a thing that has consequences for external
contributors and thus must be used with care. And it needs to
be discussed, not just imposed. This much basic democracy and
transparency is IMHO a necessity for an open source project.

Instead, a completed CLA with IMHO strong demands
(e.g. transfer of exclusive instead of non-exclusive copyright;
transfer to gvSIG Association instead of a non-profit org
such as OSGeo) was simply emailed around and everyone pushed
to sign it. Not good style.

In my opinion, the handling of the CLA is symptomatic
for the (current?) nature of the gvSIG project.