[Gvsig_english] detecting ports - gvsigps

Ruth Schönbuchner r.schoenbuchner at hotmail.de
Thu Jul 28 11:47:02 CEST 2011

Dear Jukka,

thank you for your hint.
I´ve installed GpsGate and I get a valid GPS position at the selected input but the gvSIG extension is not detecting the port yet.
I will go on trying.. Thank you anyway!
Best regards, Ruth

Ruth Schönbuchner
CSGIS
Email:ruth.schoenbuchner at csgis.de
Web: http://www.csgis.de

From: Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
To: gvsig_internacional at listserv.gva.es
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:10:40 +0000
Subject: Re: [Gvsig_english] detecting ports - gvsigps

Hi,

I do not know anything about gvSIG GPS extension or Garmin 60CSx, but with OpenJUMP GPS extension which wants to read NMEA-sentenses and not the native Garmin protocol
 my eTrex does not make a usable port.  I have been using a GpsGate Client program with OpenJUMP for converting the Garmin signal into NMEA in a virtual COM port and it works fine. It could be worth having a try for you too.  GpsGate can be found from
http://franson.com/

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Ruth Schönbuchner  wrote:

Dear list,

I´ve tried the GPS extenstion from Geocuba with Garmin 60CSx [1].

In the configuration panel the settings [2] regarding port need to be defined.

The problem is that I never have the possibility to define any port (like e.g. COM3 or COM 5). The drop down menu still remains in the state "detecting ports", although Windows xp is connected to Garmin via USB.

How is it possible to define a COM port communication in Windows XP with my Garmin USB device?

I assume that afterwards the port could be detected automatically by gvsigps [1]?

I found some threads as e.g. [3] where the "rxtx library" is mentioned? Do I have to install any additional driver (despite the Garmin driver itself) to get the connection?

Thanks in advance!

Ruth

[1] http://forge.osor.eu/frs/?group_id=333

[2] manual, page 34: http://gvsig-desktop.forge.osor.eu/downloads/pub/projects/gvSIG-desktop/devel/gvSIG-1_1/ext/CastillayLeon-0_1_0/18/Manual_extensiones_CyL.pdf