[Gvsig_english] Query on why gvSIG CE came about

Amelia Del Rey Pérez adelrey at prodevelop.es
Thu Jun 30 11:27:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I total  agree with Nacho and I would like to give my  point of view of the "language aspect of the project".

As all of us know the origin of gvSIG was to resolve a local need of a Spanish Public Administration where all the documentation was in Spanish. gvSIG has growth a lot and it has become in to an international project, and because of that the project has been translated not only into English but other languages, thank you to the big effort of the translators all over the world.

Of course  to have gvSIG  well documented in will  help us to spread the project and also to  have more gvSIG Community (users and developers) involved in the development of the project.

We are on the right way to get it, because, thank you to the CGS of Nottingham (Honorary Members of the gvSIG Association) , we have been participated at OSGIS 20011 (UK) with another gvSIG's Day (this one is the second celebrated there) [1], in order to build a gvSIG Community there how could help us to deal with.

In this occasion, although the the gvSIG's Day was held at the same time as the main conference, we had 30 attendees not only to the technological sessions but also to the workshop in the evening about the project, gvSIG Association, Communities and how to collaborate with the project. They were really interested about the organization of the project on all of its aspects (, and we provide them all the information the economical aspects of the projects, what we call "gvSIG Business Model".  We put all the links and English  documentation in hands of the  OS UK Community.

By the way,  in order to be "open" we are collaborating as well with the ELOGeo Project (An e-Learning Framework for Using Geospatial Open Data, Open Source and Open Standards) [2].  We hope to plant the seed to set up an UK gvSIG Community there, without the need of creating  a fork to improve the "English aspect" of the project.

Best regards!!

Amelia del Rey

[1] http://cgs.nottingham.ac.uk/~osgis11/gvSIGDay.pdf

[2] http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/