[Gvsig_english] QUESTION: What are the most common languages that documentation is translated into?

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Mar 17 12:44:41 CET 2011

Dear Simon,

Can you please indicate what are the most common languages that gvSIG
documentation is translated into?

 From what I can tell most documentation appears in...
1. Spanish
definitively, most documentation is available in Spanish only

2. Italian
I think the Italian community is quite active regarding translation tasks

3. English
as far as I am informed, English documentation is not complete for 1.9/1.10

4. Brazilian?
5. German?
There have been several attempts to organize the translation of the
gvSIG-user manual into German.
However, we did not manage to translate everything, due to the lack of time.
I do not know whether any person is actively translating (sigh)

Another way of looking at this question is...
   (a) what countries is gvSIG used in the most?
there are many GIS users in Germany which are interested in usage of gvSIG.
We once organized a german user meeting, and the response was great.
However, forming a community which would be able to organize these important
tasks such as translation, did not happen yet. There will be some more
activity as there are two conferences this year, where some very active
gvSIG-users will present gvSIG. A big thank you! to them!

 or
   (b) what countries is gvSIG hoping to expand into?
well I hope that the German-speaking countries will use gvSIG more and
more...

...and what is/are the best language(s) to communicate with these users?
I think, English is the best language for documentation purposes. It would
help a lot.

Best,
Wolfgang