[Gvsig_english] gvSIG 1.11 RC1 available

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Thu Mar 24 14:36:25 CET 2011

Dear all,

the idea behind that plugin manager is great. But it seems to me, as if it
should be named as extension manager. On our machines, gvSIG is installed in
an alternative installation location (/opt/gvSIG...), and installation can
only be done by the administrator. I fear that this plugin manager will not
allow "normal" users to add additional functionality - due to missing user
rights.

If there would be a possibility to add additional functionality by simply
adding "plugins" into a plugin-directory in the $home/gvSIG-directory,
things would be easier for us. These plugins could be something like
ArcView's scripts which provided a wealth of extra tools... Is something
like this planned for the future?

Another thing regarding the new geoprocesses in gvSIG 1.1 (which were done
for the City of Munich): descriptions should be available! Currently, no
descriptions exist or translations are not correct / could be improved.
Example: split lines

I would recommend to use this german text: Linien trennen (split lines)
Dieses Werkzeug erzeugt neues Linien-Shapefile, welches in gleichlange
Teilstücke aufgeteilt ist. Die Länge der Teilstücke kann vom Benutzer
definiert werden. Der Eingabelayer muss ein Linien-Shapefile sein.

Lateral buffer: here, neither an English nor a German description is
available. An English text could be:
this geoprocess creates a rectangular buffer with a defined distance, and
ending exactly at the end of the line. The user can specify, whether the
buffer is created right or left of the line theme.

Dieser Geoprozess erstellt eine Puffergeometrie mit rechteckigen Enden, die
bündig mit den Linienenden des Ausgangsthemas abschliesst. Der Benutzer kann
festlegen, ob der Puffer links oder rechts vom Linienthema erstellt werden
soll.

Best regards,
Wolfgang