[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and quick information: error message appears in gvSIG 1.11

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Tue May 31 12:53:50 CEST 2011

El 31/05/11 10:51, Javier Estévez escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is related to Wolfgang's problem, but there may
> be a issue with file management in gvSIG. It's easy to test, using
> lsof command combined with wc to get open files: lsof -p pid | wc -l
> (where pid is gvSIG's process identifier).
>
> - gvSIG with one view and one layer on it: 674 open files.
> - remove that layer from the view (this layer is not being used anymore): 673
> - add the same layer: 676
> - remove it again: 675
> - and so on...
>
> It seems that every time we add a layer in gvSIG (I'm always talking
> about shp), it opens 3 files (I assume they are shp, shx and dbf), but
> two of them are never closed. If you work with a lot of shapes, sooner
> or later you'll get a "Too many open files" error. One of our projects
> has 35 shape files loaded at once and it works well, but we can't
> perform some processes without getting the error...
>
> Best,
> Javi

Hi Javi,

Thanks for your comments about this issue!! I think you have traced very
well the problem (or one of them) and I agree with you that it seems
there is a bug in the SHP data provider, not closing all opened files.

I'm going to create a new bug ticket in the gvsig-desktop tracker, using
your information and Wolfgang's.

Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect
DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)