[Gvsig_english] gvSIG mobile and submeter gps

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Tue Sep 13 16:23:45 CEST 2011

Thanks, Alberto.

As far as I know, enhanced GPS systems follow one of these approaches:

(1) Real-time corrections: the GPS receiver produces the so-called "raw data" and then some sophisticated software combines these raw data with some external infomation (corrections) to produce high-quality position information, which is immediately delivered to the GIS application.

(2) Post-processing: similar to previous case, but raw data is simply stored and taken to an office where it is processed with sophisticated desktop software to extract high-precision data.

(3) Smart receivers: a high-performance GPS receiver combines conventional GPS data with other data (WAAS, EGNOS or other) to produce accurate position information, which is then used as input for the GIS software.

According to the description available here [1] the SXBlue device seems to provide all those approaches.

gvSIG Mobile can only enjoy option (3) because it does not perform real-time correction and of course does not perform post-processing.

Therefore, my guess is that you'll get 2-feet accuracy because gvSIG Mobile will be receiving improved NMEA position data which has been produced by the SXBlue device using SBAS systems.

[1] http://www.sxbluegps.com/sxblue-advantage.html

Regards,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
---