[Gvsig_english] Comparison of installation ond use of latest version of both gvSIg and gvSIG-CE

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Fri Mar 30 16:39:03 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have been trying to get create a DEM based on a contour shapefile as
outlined in Victor's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-_ny4Cj9U

Initially the process baulked because the contour data was in 3D and
Sextante did not process the file correctly. I eventually converted the
file to 2D using ogr2ogr then tried again. No luck, the process appeared
to finish but the image file did not appear in any directory.

I have tested the process on old data that this process worked on
previously but it now does not work. After looking at all the usual
suspects I decided to upgrade to the latest versions of gvSIG and
gvSIG-CE to see if this process could be completed and if not whether
any feedback was given by the program as to why not.

***** DOWNLOADS ***********

gvsig-ce-1.0.svn-linux.zip 210.17MB
gvSIG-1_11-1305-final-lin-i586-withjre-j1_5.bin 193.54MB

***** INSTALLATION ***********

gvSIG 1.11 -- Quick and easy, although would confuse a newbie (e.g.
change execution flag).
gvSIG-CE -- unzip and you are done.

***** OPEN PROJECT ***********

gvSIG 1.11 -- Warned me that the project file, if changed would not be
able to read by older version of the program.

gvSIG-CE -- Slightly quicker to open. Same warning about the project file.

***** OPEN PROJECT ***********

gvSIG 1.11 -- Baulked. Generated the error stating the raster file could
not be created -- the same as gvSIG 1.10. No error message was in the
main console.

The message was
"es.unex.sextante.exceptions.GeoAlgorithmExecutionException: Error
exporting the generated raster to the file: ..."

gvSIG-CE -- Worked first pop. Created a raster as expected.

All packages use the same Java 1.6.0_20.

I suspect after snooping around that the version of sextante is newer
but it does not explain why a program that used its own java and
libraries would or could change (both the current version and the latest
download of gvSIG 1.11). I have made the DEM using this process several
times using version 1.10. Obviously these packages are not autonomous
from the system.

For the record. I am using gvSIG 1.11, Ubuntu with the xfce desktop and
the above mentioned java.

I suppose there is something to be said for having all the usual tools
in the same toolbox and already interconnected.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides