[Gvsig_english] transfer GPS-data, “gpx”-format, to gvSIG

Klaus Schaefer klaus.schaefer4 at giz.de
Wed Sep 26 14:32:15 CEST 2012

Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf
<http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5004615/Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf>
Dear gvSIG-friends,many of you work with GPS devices to map network and
customer data for water scheme documentation (cadastre), project layout,
design and other planning activities. Many of you, as well, use a GIS
application to visualize and analyze the respective data and/or combine it
with customer data, district data, billing data and other sources of
data.Different GPS-devices work with different interfaces to transfer data
to a GIS. Many of you work with Garmin GPS devices, mostly of Dakota and
Oregon types. I have now compiled a small workflow and process description
on how to get GPS data into a GIS using the raw “gpx” files that are
provided by these devices. Other GPS devices, like “Garmin eTrex”, “Trimble”
or “Magellan”, may not produce “gpx” data files and need other processes in
combination with GIS. However, the Garmin “Dakota” and “Oregon” types seem
to be the most popular ones and other types and brands may use the
“gpx”-interchange format as well.Different GIS applications (ArcGIS, QGIS,
gvSIG…) have different ways of dealing with GPS-data as well. Some can
import from GPS devices directly, but probably not from all of them. Most
common standards to provide data for GIS layers are shape files or spacial
database tables (e.g. PostgreSQL/PostGIS).Since many people working with
GIS/GPS applications have similar tasks to do and have to deal with similar
issues and requirements, several tools have already been developed and
provided to the community. Over the last two years me myself I have done a
lot of work in this scenarios and I realized that it is time to compile a
“best practice” handout from my experiences so far, for the benefit of all
of you. Of course there is not “one way only” to achieve the same results.
However, I wish this small document to support you in your daily
efforts.Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to
me. I appreciate any feedback from your side, so hopefully these
instructions can be extended with your experiences, too. Please feel free to
distribute this document to other persons that may be interested.Thanks a
lot and best regardsKlaus