[Gvsig_english] transfer GPS-data, “gpx”-format, to gvSIG

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at prodevelop.es
Wed Sep 26 14:58:00 CEST 2012

El mié 26 sep 2012 14:38:31 CEST, Klaus Schaefer escribió:
> Dear gvSIG-friends,
>
> many of you work with GPS devices to map network and customer data for water
> scheme documentation (cadastre), project layout, design and other planning
> activities. Many of you, as well, use a GIS application to visualize and
> analyze the respective data and/or combine it with customer data, district
> data, billing data and other sources of data.
>
> Different GPS-devices work with different interfaces to transfer data to a
> GIS. Many of you work with Garmin GPS devices, mostly of Dakota and Oregon
> types. I have now compiled a small workflow and process description on how
> to get GPS data into a GIS using the raw “gpx” files that are provided by
> these devices. Other GPS devices, like “Garmin eTrex”, “Trimble” or
> “Magellan”, may not produce “gpx” data files and need other processes in
> combination with GIS. However, the Garmin “Dakota” and “Oregon” types seem
> to be the most popular ones and other types and brands may use the
> “gpx”-interchange format as well.
>
> Different GIS applications (ArcGIS, QGIS, gvSIG…) have different ways of
> dealing with GPS-data as well. Some can import from GPS devices directly,
> but probably not from all of them. Most common standards to provide data for
> GIS layers are shape files or spacial database tables (e.g.
> PostgreSQL/PostGIS).
>
> Since many people working with GIS/GPS applications have similar tasks to do
> and have to deal with similar issues and requirements, several tools have
> already been developed and provided to the community. Over the last two
> years me myself I have done a lot of work in these kind of scenarios and I
> realized that it is time to compile a “best practice” handout from my
> experiences so far, for the benefit of all of you. Of course there is not
> “one way only” to achieve the same results. However, I wish this small
> document to support you in your daily efforts.
>
> Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. I
> appreciate any feedback from your side, so hopefully these instructions can
> be extended with your experiences, too. Please feel free to distribute this
> document to other persons that may be interested.
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards
> Klaus
>
> Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf
> <http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/file/n5004621/Transfer-gpx-Files-to-GIS_1.00-001.pdf>

Thank you very much Klaus for your document.

As you say there are many ways to convert GPX files to something more
"GIS" friendly. In fact it's quite desirable as I understand GPX as
something "raw", your starting point to derive data.

OGR is a well known library that understands GPX[5] so you can easily
convert from this format to many others[1] using the ogr2ogr utility
program[2]. Here there is a cheatsheet to have at hand[3].

OGR can be installed on Ubuntu/Debian from the "gdal-bin" package. In
Windows you can use the OSGeo4W[4] distribution.

Cheers

[1] http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html
[2] http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html
[3]