[Gvsig_english] Suggestion gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Installation on Ubuntu does not establish file associations

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Wed Jun 5 03:32:03 CEST 2013

Manuel,

The sequence is a bit different in Ubuntu 13.04.

1. Right Click gvsproj file
    > there is NO "Use a custom command" option
2. Select "Open with > Other Application..."
3. In dialog box select "Show other applications"
4. The list of applications installed on the system appears
    > gvSIG *IS NOT IN LIST*
    > No other options exist to select specific application

As I understand it, this list is populated from the list of files in the
"$HOME/.local/share/applications" directory. I checked this directory
and the gvSIG desktop file is present. All the permissions for this file
are OK.

Obviously something has changed...

Searching the Internet again I found the following ...

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/ubuntu-fix-add-program-to-list-of-applications-in-open-with-when-right-clicking-files-in-nautilus/

... which allows me to see the application in the list
... but this causes the following error to be thrown up!

Errors in initialization of application.
   postInitialize of extension
'org.gvsig.app.extension.ProjectExtension' failed

I presume you will need to change the desktop file to include "%f" in
the Exec= line and fix the bash script so it stops baulking when
starting with a command line argument.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides