[Gvsig_english] Feedback gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Stable or Beta?

Alvaro Anguix aanguix at gvsig.com
Mon Jun 17 13:00:40 CEST 2013

Dear Wolfgang,

El 14/06/13 14:47, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> I share the opinion of Simon. The title "final version" is misleading and
> causes quite some confusion if not frustration. I am using gvSIG since 2007
> and I was told so many times that many things will be solved in the new
> version of gvSIG. A "final" version should not have fundamental issues like
> those Simon has described. And I would like to mention that it is a bit
> strange that Simon's message was not answered by anyone of the gvSIG-team.
> There should be some reaction showing that "the team" cares about this
> issue.
>
> Further explanation and more clear information about the release of a true
> "final" (=stable) version would be very helpful. In my opinion it would be
> very sad if the project would lose credibility because of these things.

I read the mail sent by Simon. It was a mail where he didn't ask about
any question concretely but he expressed his opinion, totally
respectable and which can be agree more or less with. In any case I
don't think that the objective of the community mailing lists is that we
reply, from the gvSIG Association, to all the mails, and even less to
the opinions about the different issues. At least I don't understand at
this way the dynamics of a community mailing list, and at this case for
example, I think that a member of the community -Antonio Falciano-
replied it perfectly. In my case, simply I didn't see that any other
thing could be added or that provided much more to the issues commented
by him.

And the thing is that from the announcement of the new version, the post
that was written at the blog about it and at the same downloads website
we explained that we were in front of a new gvSIG. It's not a new
version. It's more than that. As a new software it's normal that errors
that aren't controlled appear, more than in a "new typical version".

In any case, the publishing process has been the same than the other
times, open to the participation and spreaded from the beginning. We
released and spreaded the beta distribution and several rc ones (release
candidates), there were testers (a few or many, but who participated
anyway) and where it was considered that the critical errors were fixed
it was released.

We announced that we were in front of a version less controlled from the
beginning but also we announced that we entered in a new publishing
dynamics (frequent versions continuous novelties, etc.).

Exactly the same that we announced that not all the new features of the
1.x version were migrated to the 2.x one (if anyone thinks that it's not
the correct decision, I respect it, but it's an opinion again).

As I said, we get into a continuous publishing dynamics. And in fact we
are working already on gvSIG 2.1, that will include new features and a
big group of detected errors that have been fixed.

Of course it won't be released as a final version from the beginning,
and we expect to have the most of the collaborations to test it in order
to find the possible errors as soon as possible. The more the community
collaborate, more tested the version will be released.

> Best regards,
> Wolfgang
>
> ps: I just read this sentence on gvsig.org: "The main differences between
> gvSIG 1.x and 2.x versions are explained at the webinar given in May 7th
> 2013, and at the presentation given at the 7th International gvSIG
> Conference (both in Spanish at the moment)." - not very helpful for the
> non-english speaking community... ;(

Sincerely I think that you aren't right now. In all ways imaginable the
novelties of the 2.0 version have been commented in both languages, you
only have to read the blog, the press releases... and it's true that a
webinar have been given in Spanish, and we think to give it in
Portuguese and English... and we hope we can give it in more languages.

By the way, the presentation of the conference that you are speaking
about was given with English and Spanish simultaneous interpretation. At
the recording there was an error and they couldn't give us the English
audio, but translators were contracted for that at the origin.

In any case, saying that we haven't informed about the changes at the
2.0 version is not conformed to the reality. Exactly the information has
given in Spanish and English at the same level.

Best,
Alvaro