[Gvsig_english] The non-spanish speaking gvSIG-community - do we have be to worried?

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Fri May 17 10:22:51 CEST 2013

Dear all,

I think there are more reasons for this "development"; and gvSIGce might not
be the most important. I don't want to blame anyone, but it surely was
harmful to the small gvSIG community in Germany. I did not hear so much
about the fork since then, but it surely has some influence. I think there
was no presentation about (original) gvSIG at the last FOSSGIS conference
and this is very bad. The development of QGIS is just amazing (you might
throw a glance on ohloh.net). Congratulations to them.

Things have changed very much in the last years. I think it was in 2007 when
we decided to switch to gvSIG, as we did not see that much development on
QGIS, but lots of activity (and functionality) at the gvSIG project. We
tried to push this project a bit with our modest resources, organized the
first German gvSIG user meeting, translated documentation into German etc.
But still, we are few.

QGIS seems to have a much more active community - at least in Europe. Adding
new functionality and improving documentation seems to be easier there - and
the usage of the English language is surely one key factor. Since the QGIS
project is a community driven project, the people in the QGIS community seem
to be more contributors (instead of consumers). I am not aware of what is
done in the spanish-speaking community - due to the language barrier ;(…
However, I fear that Simon's view of  the "more vibrant cooperative
ecosystem" is true.

And sextante - this is really confusing. There was no comment about that
"development" on the list. I heard about that only by accident. Seems that
most development of sextante is now done for QGIS. Really sad (if it's
true).

Best,
Wolfgang