[Gvsig_english] Problem gvSIG 2.0.0.2066 -- Program crashes when opening ECW file

Cèsar Ordiñana cordinyana at gvsig.com
Wed May 22 10:56:32 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

I think we have found a temporary solution. It seems the crash is
produced because of a bug in the native library we use to load the ECW
files. I've been looking and it is also happening in the last linux
distributions when you use gdal to open an ECW file:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/ECW-support-on-Fedora-Linux-error-td4991388.html

One of the developers on that discussion found a very easy way to avoid
the problem, by setting the environment variable NCS_USER_PREFS to point
to some bogus file name. I have just updated to Ubuntu 13.04 and had the
same crash opening ECW files, but by setting the environment variable it
works again.

If you want to try it just edit the "gvSIG.sh" file in your gvSIG 2.0
installation, go to the line 144 (after the "export LC_NUMERIC=C") and
add a new line with the following text:

export NCS_USER_PREFS=/tmp/dummy

Then save the file and run gvSIG to check if it works for you.

Cèsar Ordiñana Navarro
gvSIG software architect
DiSiD Technologies (http://www.disid.com)