[Gvsig_english] Webinar in English (September 23rd): 'Introducing gvSIG Desktop version 2 (in English)'

Alvaro Anguix aanguix at gvsig.com
Mon Sep 23 13:23:30 CEST 2013

Dear Wolfgang,

El 20/09/13 15:23, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> Dear gvSIG-team
> dear all,
>

> gvSIG News Office wrote
>> This webinar will discuss the newest release of gvSIG (version 2.0)
>> focusing on a comparison between this and previous versions, as well as,
>> detailing software developments planned in the coming months.
>
> due to the fact that we are using another OS (Ubuntu, as Georg mentioned),
> we will not have the possiblity to join the webinar. Nethertheless, I would
> like to ask some questions. It would be great, if you could try to answer
> and document them. And I would be glad, if other users who are not able to
> attend the seminar would ask their questions on this list...........
Of course, Wolfgang, regardless the webinar, we always try to answer all
the questions from the community.
By the way, regarding the webinar, if somebody knows a webinar service
client that works in Linux, please tell us. Both MundoGEO and us would
be very interested in it.

> * not all functionalities of former gvSIG-versions are integrated in gvSIG
> 2.0 (e.g. important features like csv-import, ...) when will they be
> available?
This is the answer that we always give, but it is the truth: It depends
on our resources. Currently we have 3 developers mainly migrating
functionalities and fixing bugs. The more resources we would have, the
more progress we would do. We have been working in order to include the
more important features to gvSIG 2.1 as advanced labelling and CSV
import. We are also migrating the functionalities that sponsored the
Munich City Hall in gvSIG 1.x: split lines, copy/paste geometries,
consecutive numbers function, select duplicate records... So the answer
is: all this functionalities will be available in gvSIG 2.1 while the
migration of some “big” extensions as Network and 3D will be started
after the release of gvSIG 2.1.

> * what about old project-files: (when) will there be an import-function? I
> consider this as very important
As I told before our current priority is the 2.1 version. Once it is
released we  will priorize again and, depending on our resources, we
will be adressing tasks. A project importer is something that we keep in
mind, although firstly we have to analyze its complexity and decide if
it can be approached at once or partially (do first the most important
aspects as legends or paths, etc. for example).

> * release date and release date of future versions? Is there a release plan
> for next versions? What is planned for 2.1, 2.x and what will change? We had
> some discussions on the list regarding this topic
We already have released several builds of 2.1 version that still were
not suitable for testing (this is why we haven't announce them). We
expect to release a new one this week and if we find it mature enough we
will announce it in order that the community can test it and send us
feddback. From that point, the time it takes to release the final
version will depend on the critical bugs detected and, again, on our
resources.

> * what are the concrete benefits of using the new version?
Well, we already talked about this previously (see [1]). The new modular
architecture easies the stability, the maintenance and the evolution of
gvSIG. This means that new developments will have less impact on the
architecture, this is, less development cost. This will ease tasks as
bugfixing, releasing and even the development of new applications based
on gvSIG.
Also it brings some interesting new features that were released as
add-ons that can be installed from the add-ons manager. They are all
compiled in [2].

> * will the opencad-tools be fully integrated - will there be duplicate
> functions (which is confusing at the moment)
This question should be made to the developers of this extension.
Anyway, the gvSIG Association is very interested in improving the gvSIG
edition tools. In this regard, we would like to have feedback from the
community about what tools  you miss or you would improve.

> * gvSIG 2.x and sextante: will it still be integrated (new versions of
> sextante) - I really hope so.
> (http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/gvSIG-2-0-and-sextante-td5057501.html)
Due to the reasons exposed in the past, in gvSIG 2.1 we will use a fork
of the  Sextante library in order to be independent and to be able to
meet the gvSIG community needs.

> * on ohloh.net there is no updated information about project activity. It
> would be great, if this could change. I guess there *is* some activity ;)

The best way of follow the project activity is the Redmine tracker [3].
Nevertheless I will check what you say because we updated the project
info in Ohloh not long ago [4].

[1]
http://blog.gvsig.org/2013/04/15/new-final-version-of-gvsig-available-gvsig-2-0/

[2]