[Gvsig_usuarios] Re: Java bindings for GDAL (was [Gvsig_desarrolladores] JMRSID)

Alvaro Zabala azabala en gmail.com
Mar Sep 27 12:22:52 CEST 2005

Hi Gabriel!
Its welcome to have news from you,

> Alvaro: are you working on an OGC map server or a custom one? if the former,
> would you be interested in adding gdal support to GeoServer WMS?

Usually in a project learning curve, stability, usability and fast
time to get results are more important than standards and design.
Althought we think that Geotools -and Geotools based like Udig and
Geoserver- are the most serious projects in open source java based GIS
-with gvSIG permission, for me, gvSIG is as good or even better than
uDIG-, we found difficult to start with it.

Geotools is a very good designed project, but very unstable-always
changing-and it prefer good desing over good application working.  For
that reason, we are working with a custom map server -by now we neednt
OGC XML WMS communications, only an intranet web client-so our code
would not map good with geotools/geoserver APIs. I dont have the time
necessary to study Geoserver APIs and to migrate our code to it, but I
would help to do that work by answering mails.

Best regards, and sorry for not to help more.

--
Alvaro Zabala Ordóñez
Miembro fundador de AGIL

Funcionario del Cuerpo de Gestión de Sistemas e Informática de la
Administración General del Estado.
Confederación Hidrográfica del Guadalquivir.
Teléfono: 954939523
Plaza de España, sector II.
SEVILLA