[Gvsig_desarrolladores] Lear to work with layers

Gustavo gus.fava en gmail.com
Vie Abr 9 22:49:50 CEST 2010

Hi.
I'm trying to learn how to work with layers.
I'm trying to develop some algorithms to add to Sextante.
Also i'm using gvSIG1.9 as the base framework.

I have the problem that i got very few experience in working with geographic
data. I've aqcuired basic notions by taking a course of "Introduction to
GIS" at my university. In that course i learned the basic ideas, not only
from the point of view of the user, but also from the developers one. I
developed a simple application using VB and MapObjects. But as i said, i
could only get basic (introductory) ideas.

Now i have to deal with the real world, and i realized that i have very few
knowledge about working with geographic data. Especially wiht raster data.

This implies that it is very dificult for me to develop my algorithms.
Looking at the Sextante algorithms gives me some ideas, but also makes me
know that there are a lot of things that i have no idea about, and that
things as much more complex than it seems at the first time.

So, i'm writing to ask if someone can recommend me some tutorial, book,
forum, or anything else that could help me to have a deeper knowledge about
working with geographic data, and all the problematic involved with it.
Ideally it should be something that starts from the basics, and then get
going deeper, arriving finally to more specific (and important) details. I
imagine that, like in any other area, there are a lot of things (almost
infinit !!! ) to learn, but perhps by now i can omit several things (perhaps
things about performance, something like that).

In resumed words, i wish to learn the essential things, not only the basics.
I mean, all that is necessary to develop an algorithm that is at least
correct (for example when you work with rasters you have to get into account
that the input layers may have different sizes, datatypes, cellsizes,
projection, etc, and if you don´t do it the result would probably be fairly
correct, or directly incorrect !)

Well, thanks for any help.
Regards,
Gustavo.