[Gvsig_english] ascii raster file

Luis W. Sevilla sevilla_lui at gva.es
Tue Apr 11 18:14:09 CEST 2006

Hi Hugues,
    you're the one with I was talking about adding ArcCrid ASCII support
though GdalFile, in Rennes, after the conference?
Hugues Boussard wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I manage to integrate a new reading format for ascii raster file into
> gvsig. It was quite simple :
> GeoRasterFile :
>  supportedExtensions.put("asc",  GdalFile.class);
>
> GdalFile :
>
> GeoRasterFile.registerExtension("asc", GdalFile.class);

You don't need to add this one. Only first one it's enough.

> then I launched the application into eclipse in order to compile the
> two classes and then I added the two file.class in the cms.jar whose
> containing "cresques", and it's works.
>
> Indeed, now I launch my application gvsig and it accepts to load the
> ascii raster file (".asc").
>
> but, I can't change the color and especially, when I load a big file
> (250 Mo), I only have to wait and wait again.

color change it's a matter of no having yet raster palettes on gvSIG.
Sometime in the future ...

> Maybe, there is a max size for gdal... or for raster...

Until now I know no specific limits on gdal or raster support. Arcgrid
must be on memory and then RAM size it's the limit.

> Do you think I could integrate to gvsig the management of hollow
> matrix ("matrice creuse" in french) ? it's the fact to set in memory
> only the important values and not the "nodata-values".

I think you could try it. It sounds quite interesting to have this kind
of managemen at least as prototype for evaluating performance and
advantages.

> thanks for all,

To you by your time and effort.

    regards