[Gvsig_english] How to build your own Driver ?

Olivier Ertz olivier.ertz at heig-vd.ch
Tue Oct 3 19:37:03 CEST 2006

---
I sent my message before Mailman confirmation, so I resend to be sure
you get it ! Sorry if redundant.
---

Dear all,
First of all, let's introduce myself. I'm a member of the IICT
institute, part of the HES-SO (University of Applied Sciences) in
Western Switzerland. We work in the GIS-world since 5 years, especialy
in thematic mapping area. Recently, our team worked hard in the local
committee for organizing the FOSS4G2006 conference. Therefore, some of
you probably remember me (I hope), as I met some of you in Lausanne.

As I talked to some of the people I met in Lausanne, we will launch a
project over gvSIG. The decision to use gvSIG is almost done. I will
come back to this list to present the project in more details and
explain in which way we have the willing to collaborate with the gvSIG
community.

Anyway, we are now trying to improve our knowledge on creating a new
extension for gvSIG, thanks to the developper guide and to Erwan's
tutos. However, we are looking for informations on how to build a new
Driver for a specific format of data (composed of two files, one for
geometries, one for attributes, joined by a sort of FID). It's not easy
to understand the underlying object model by digging the code, even if
it's a good start. We discovered that a Driver can be linked to GDBMS.
We found interesting info in chapter 5 from FMap developper guide, by
exploring the Javadoc, and doing some reverse engineering.

However, can someone help to us to understand the mecanism/object model
behind the data access layer.

Thanx a lot for your help.
Olivier.

PS : for those you joined the FOSS4G2006, did you see the photo gallery
(http://www.foss4g2006.org/site/gallery/index.php) ?

FOSS4G2006 - Free And Open Source Software for Geoinformatics
See the conference website : http://www.foss4g2006.org