[Gvsig_english] forum and maps

Marcel St-Germain pvmstg at videotron.ca
Fri Apr 13 16:32:48 CEST 2007

Hi!

Using english it's a good path to include for internationalisation of
gvsig development and user support, even if like me, the english is not
so good (I'm Québécois).

If I remember correctly, a forum is underway.  Do someone know about
expect release date?  A forum is, in my mind, a more easy way to find
info or make suggestion or communicate with the community than the
malling list.  Also,the forum could be the place to ask info on
extention made by others than the core developpers.

Even if more and more sig find their way in open gis, for now, gvsig
offer the best pakage to make maps.  But, like any child it need to
grow to offer the tool needed for mapping.  A lot of other sig make
data transformation and interrogation the focus.

I'm ok about the path to use standards tool.  Using gimp, openoffice,
inscape, scribus etc link and transfert should be the path for the core
development.

I haven't test gvsig, just explore it, to find the learning curve easy
with similarity to arcview 3 and inclusion of a lot of thing from
arcview 9.  I'm waiting for the next release since some verry anoying
bugs I found in osX 10,3 version.

For mapping the verry nice feature I love, if not in gvsig I hope it
will be included, it's the way reference grids around the map could be
arrange (with or without tics and/or line).  Unlike aw3, aw9 make
active link. So, if you move the map, all reference is accordingly
update.

Also, the use of 3 types of grids,  labeling gaticule (degree, min,
sec), mesure grid (utm or mtm for us) and reference grid (for street
map by example) is necessary for mapping.  More, the mixt of any of
these 3 types should be possible.  I just make a city maps with all 3
types grids on the same maps.

The ability to put many maps layout link to the same view is verry
powerfull in gvsig.  Unfortunately (maybe by my lack of time) I haven't
find the way to attach extend or bookmark to each layout maps to
return.

And easy way to, like in aw9, to import layout should be a plus.

Waiting for the next release and the openig of a forum.

Thanks to all developpers

Marcel