[Gvsig_english] Remarks and questions about gvSIG 1.1 (rc2)

Jose Manuel Vivó (Chema) josemanuel.vivo at iver.es
Fri Aug 24 13:09:29 CEST 2007

Hi Wolfgang

El Jueves 23 Agosto 2007 13:16, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> 2)When trying to "translate" a numeric value into a string value, numbers
> get an additional ".0"., eg. 2 becomes 2.0. However, what I would need to
> do is to connect a string-field with the transformed numerical field, like:
> "Hauptstr."+26 = "Hauptstr. 26"

Well, I supose that you are using the Field Calculator. You have to assure
that the numeric value is an integer type. You can try to do this with this
expressión:

  [StringField] + "."+ str(int([NumericField))

Another way to do it is to use the 'format' . by example:

"%s . %0.lf" % ([StringField],[NumericField])

You can read more information about format operator here:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.1.3/lib/typesseq-strings.html

> 3) will it be possible to run future versions of gvSIG (incl. 1.1) using
> older (but already installed) versions of the java runtime environment? We
> would like to use only one jre on our computers, if possible. Some
> colleagues of me worry about having a special jre for each java
> application. They would like to have a "lean" linux system within our
> administration (a linux desktop client is being built for the desktop pc's
> of the City administration. It's called "LiMux"). I understand this
> concern, but if there are strong reasons for an extra jre for gvSIG, it
> would be good for me to know them. Just to explain it to my colleagues.

Linux instalation program allows to select differents options for the JRE to
use. This includes an option to select a JRE manualy and another to use it
from the system path or the JAVA_HOME evironment variable.

The question is that the end user hasn't super user privilege. Then, he is not
allowed to install the JAI and JAI Image I/O libraries.

If user chooses to use an existing JRE, the system manager has to prepare the
JRE with the gvSIG requisites.

To use gvSIG in Linux you need to check this questions (for gvSIG 1.1):
  - The application runs on a JRE 1.5 version.
  - JAI and JAI Image I/O libraries have to be installed in the JRE.
  - There is an issure in JRE v1.5.0_11 (and previos) with CUPS (v1.2)
service. This combination must produce printing problems . see:
http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L433+I0+TFAQ+M10+P1+Q

  - If you have a JRE 1.4 and need to use the last gvSIG version, make an
explicit request for it. You can do it in this list. Now, the project
managers are evaluating not to continue the support of JRE 1.4. Because of
that, there isn't a version for this JRE published.

> 5)another question from my colleagues: will there be a mechanism to prevent
> that two or more users edit the same geometry at the same time? I guess
> this is only possible to implement when working with a database. They told
> me that it was possible in former SICAD to lock a custom region for a user.

Current gvSIG version dosen't supports edition locks.
There is a ticket for it, but there is no date by now.

> Well, I would say that this is not too important (splitting lines and
> polygons is more urgent ...haha), but a comment on that issue would be
> great!

We will consider the posibility to include tools for it in future versions.

> Comments are appreciated very much.
> Best,
> Wolfgang

Regards