[Gvsig_english] Remarks and questions about gvSIG 1.1 (rc2)

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Fri Aug 24 14:04:42 CEST 2007

Hello José,
thank you very much for this extenive answer.
Am Freitag 24 August 2007 pH:09:13 nachmittags/abends schrieb Jose Manuel Vivó
(Chema):
> Hi Wolfgang
>
> El Jueves 23 Agosto 2007 13:16, Wolfgang Qual escribió:
> > 2)When trying to "translate" a numeric value into a string value, numbers
> > get an additional ".0"., eg. 2 becomes 2.0. However, what I would need to
> > do is to connect a string-field with the transformed numerical field,
> > like: "Hauptstr."+26 = "Hauptstr. 26"
>
> Well, I supose that you are using the Field Calculator. You have to assure
> that the numeric value is an integer type. You can try to do this with this
> expressión:
>
>   [StringField] + "."+ str(int([NumericField))
>
> Another way to do it is to use the 'format' . by example:
>
> "%s . %0.lf" % ([StringField],[NumericField])
>
> You can read more information about format operator here:
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.1.3/lib/typesseq-strings.html

es. I used the new field calculator. The funny thing is that I checked the
type of the to-be-transformed column. It is of type integer. I used the
"toString"-option of the new tool. I was just wondering..

> > 3) will it be possible to run future versions of gvSIG (incl. 1.1) using
> > older (but already installed) versions of the java runtime environment?
> > We would like to use only one jre on our computers, if possible. Some
> > colleagues of me worry about having a special jre for each java
> > application. They would like to have a "lean" linux system within our
> > administration (a linux desktop client is being built for the desktop
> > pc's of the City administration. It's called "LiMux"). I understand this
> > concern, but if there are strong reasons for an extra jre for gvSIG, it
> > would be good for me to know them. Just to explain it to my colleagues.
>
> Linux instalation program allows to select differents options for the JRE
> to use. This includes an option to select a JRE manualy and another to use
> it
>
> >from the system path or the JAVA_HOME evironment variable.
>
> The question is that the end user hasn't super user privilege. Then, he is
> not allowed to install the JAI and JAI Image I/O libraries.
>
> If user chooses to use an existing JRE, the system manager has to prepare
> the JRE with the gvSIG requisites.
>
> To use gvSIG in Linux you need to check this questions (for gvSIG 1.1):
>   - The application runs on a JRE 1.5 version.
>   - JAI and JAI Image I/O libraries have to be installed in the JRE.
>   - There is an issure in JRE v1.5.0_11 (and previos) with CUPS (v1.2)
> service. This combination must produce printing problems . see:
> http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L433+I0+TFAQ+M10+P1+Q
>
>   - If you have a JRE 1.4 and need to use the last gvSIG version, make an
> explicit request for it. You can do it in this list. Now, the project
> managers are evaluating not to continue the support of JRE 1.4. Because of
> that, there isn't a version for this JRE published.
Ok. The printing issue could be the key to convince my colleagues. Still, I
agree with them that it would be good not to have a JRE for each
java-application. I'll check this issue (for example: what jre is using
openoffice...). Here, installations will only be allowed for administrators -
our it department is quite strict with this.

> > 5)another question from my colleagues: will there be a mechanism to
> > prevent that two or more users edit the same geometry at the same time? I
> > guess this is only possible to implement when working with a database.
> > They told me that it was possible in former SICAD to lock a custom region
> > for a user.
>
> Current gvSIG version dosen't supports edition locks.
> There is a ticket for it, but there is no date by now.
ok. Not that important.

> > Well, I would say that this is not too important (splitting lines and
> > polygons is more urgent ...haha), but a comment on that issue would be
> > great!
>
> We will consider the posibility to include tools for it in future versions.
Maybe already in 2007?

> > Comments are appreciated very much.
> > Best,
> > Wolfgang