[Gvsig_english] Some troubles with WMS layers

jaume domínguez faus jaume.dominguez at iver.es
Tue Dec 4 12:52:07 CET 2007

Well, I'm not sure about what I'm going to say now because I've just
downloaded QGis for first time and tried it. Well, my impression is not
that gvSIG's WMS requires more -mandatory- parameters to work when other
products doesn't, but gvSIG can handle a special WMS servers that QGis
can't (and maybe nor OpenLayers)

These servers are those that cannot render the map image into the view's
extent, projection, etc... They just send the image and the application
is in charge of re-sample and place it in the right location to have
sense in the map composition.

An example of such servers is the NASA's
http://aes.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wms

Whatever extent or srs you ask the server, what the server gives you is
the same png (or jpeg,...) image. I've tried this server in QGis and it
does not work (I'll try it in OpenLayers when I get some time to spend
learing its config). Anyway, maybe the reason is that the capabilities
document is wrongly saying that this server's layers are fixed-sized and
QGis and OpenLayers just omit this property and think that all servers
are regular servers. So the misconfiguration is kind of "by-passed".

Or maybe, of course, it is just a bug in gvSIG.

I'll take note of your server, and investigate the exact reason as soon
as possible.

Regards.

Antonio Falciano wrote:
> jaume domínguez faus ha scritto:
>> Hello Luca
>>
>> You sure? This is the server error output
>>
>> <HTML>
>>    <HEAD>
>>        <TITLE>MapServer Message</TITLE>
>>    </HEAD>
>>    <!-- MapServer version 4.10.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
>> OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ               SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
>> SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
>> SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER
>>    <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
>>        msLoadMap(): Unable to access file. (/www/labs/map/.map) <br>
>>    </BODY>
>> </HTML>
>>
>> Looks like a misconfiguration in your MapServer, your Apache or even
>> in the file system permission, though.
>
> Hi Jaume,
> I have the same question of Luca too.
> As Luca showed, http://labs.metacarta.com/wms/vmap0? cannot be added as
> WMS layer to a view because its mapfile doesn't contain some mandatory
> metadata and other parameters. Although, in other GIS clients, such as
> Quantum GIS and Openlayers, it works fine.
> We are wondering if gvSIG WMS implementation requires necessarily all WMS
> parameters in a mapfile. It was not clear why in other clients it is
> possible to load the Metacarta WMS and in gvSIG not. Is this a
> malfunctioning of gvSIG or of the other before mentioned clients?
>
> Best regards,
> Antonio

Jaume Dominguez Faus

Àrea de Software Lliure
Equip gvSIG
Iver TI
C. Salamanca, 52
46005 València
Telf: 902 25 25 40 Fax: 96 316 27 16
(Spain)

Este mensaje y sus archivos son confidenciales. No está permitida su reproducción o distribución sin la autorización expresa de "IVER Tecnologías de la Información". Si usted no es el destinatario previsto, queda desautorizado cualquier uso, acceso o copia de este mensaje. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor bórrelo e infórmenos por esta misma vía.