[Gvsig_english] Geocodification in gvSIG

evangelia kappa evkappa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 15:39:58 CEST 2007

Miguel,

here is also what appears to be the norm for the UK
(according to the Royal Mail website,
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400044&mediaId=9200078#4300060)
although things get funny in London area, particularly the post code bit,
which doesn't seem to be that consistent or following a standard.

Building/House  Name
Number of building/house and Name of of thoroughfare (street, avenue, etc.)
Locality name
Town/City name (always in capitals)
Post code (always in capitals, and normally 2 letters, followed by 1 or 2
numbers, space, followed by 1 or 2 numbers, and then 2 letters).

e.g.
Banbury Place
100 Banbury Road
Summertown
OXFORD
OX2 6JU

as already mentioned, post codes in london could have more than 2 letters,
followed by some number and then one more letter, then space, etc.. no
standard though there i am afraid..

hope it helps

/Evangelia

On 06/07/07, Michael Fecht <fecht at grid-it.at> wrote:

> Hi Miguel,
>
> here is the contribution from Austria. We also have a simple System:
>
> - streetname and number
> - postal code: 4 digits
> - town/village
>
> Postal code an town or village are usally in one line.
>
> Some villages do not have streetnames. In that case each house just has
> a number (Example 2).
>
> Example 1:
> ----------
> Freisingstraße 2
> 6020 Innsbruck
>
> Example 2:
> ----------
> Leisach 45
> 9900 Leisach
>
> or sometimes
>
> Hausnummer 45
> 9900 Leisach
>
> Greetings from Technikerstaße 21a, 6020 Innsbruck
> Michael
>

> Vincent Schut schrieb:
> > Hi Miguel,
> >
> > In the Netherlands we have a very simple system (small country :-)):
> >
> > - street name and number
> > - postal code: 4 digit number, 2 capital characters
> > - town/village, in case the same village name exists in more provinces
> > one can add the province or an abreviation thereof.
> >
> > examples:
> >
> > Hoofdstraat 10
> > 1234 AB
> > Amsterdam
> >
> > or:
> >
> > Spijksedijk 322b
> > 4143 EE
> > Spijk, ZH
> >
> > (where ZH is an abreviation for 'Zuid Holland')
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Vincent Schut
> >

> > Miguel Montesinos wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> we are starting the development of a new module aimed at offering
> normalization and geocodification capabilities in gvSIG.
> >>
> >> The addressing system varies in every country. We would like to know
> the different addressing systems used in your countries in order to cover as
> many addressing systems as possible.
> >>
> >> Could you please send me the addressing system of your country, as well
> as several examples.
> >>
> >> As a sample, in Spain our addressing system is the following one:
> >>
> >> 1) - Street type (e.g. calle -street-, avenida -avenue-, ...).
> >>    - Street name (e.g. Blasco Ibáñez).
> >>    - Number (e.g. 60, 15bis, ...).
> >>    - Postal Code (5 digits, e.g. 46010), where postal code follows the
> format PPLLL
> >>       * PP: Province code.
> >>       * LLL: Neighbourhood or village.
> >>    - Town / village.
> >>    - Example: Avenida Blasco Ibáñez, 60 46010 Valencia.
> >>
> >> 2) - Road name (e.g. carretera -road- Valencia a Pinedo, autovía
> -highway-, ...) / Road code.
> >>    - Milestone (e.g. km. 3,5).
> >>    - Examples:
> >>          * Carretera Valencia a Pinedo, Km 3,5.
> >>          * A3, Km. 7.
> >>
> >> Hope we'll be able to cover all your systems and get a good
> [...]

E.V.A.N.G.E.L.I.A.: Electronic Versatile Android Normally for Galactic
Exploration, Learning and Immediate Assassination