[Gvsig_english] Wms connection header

rndbrb at libero.it rndbrb at libero.it
Mon Jul 16 10:49:28 CEST 2007

Hi list
I'm investigating map publication using a WFS service. The data published must be accessible by geographic area, every geographic district having its own set of geographic data available.
I'm trying to connect to a WMS server containing geospatial data. The server ( a MapServer 4.10)  profiles every single user by means of an authentication/authorization script written in ASP. Connecting to the authorization page first and to the url exposing the WMS map service then (in a browser like IE or Mozilla),  produces the right map in the browser. This means that the url executes the asp code, aknowleges the user and then responds with the XML code of the map.
Like most Web Signon cases, the scripts I call are based on cookies that pass information (from the client to the server) about the user who is trying to connect, making possible (on the server side) the mapping between the requests recieved and the authenticated users who made them.
Everything works fine if I use the browser but whenever i try to connect using GVSIG (addLayer; WMS ...) I don't have the expected results. The main difference between the behaviour of the browser and the GIS client lies in the HTTP HEADER infos. All Header infos except for the IP address of the client ( I'm talking about the request.Servervariables collection in ASP) are in GVSIG cleared and then sent to MapServer. This strange thing happens in all GIS clients i have used (GVSIG, QGIS, UDIG and Mapserver as a client).
In one of my test configuration i have even excluded the proxy server and all the client apps regarding proxy in another i have put everything,(Gvsig client and mapserver as a server) on the same machine.
It seems to me that there must be a rule abuot HTTP Headers Requests in Web Map Service Implementation Specification, that does not permit  cookie passing from client to server (I examined the OpenGIS Project Document 02-017r1 dated 4/24/2002 but i found nothing related to http header Requests).
Have you got any idea ?
Thanks in advance

Raimondo Barbieri
Basilicata Local Support Unit