[Gvsig_english] udig

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 13 17:03:33 CEST 2007

Marcel St-Germain wrote:
> Hi, about "competition" with udig, I contact them about collaboration
> with gvsig project.
>
> They are interested.  If I remember the big point to iron out was the
> type of licence for the two projects who differs.  They tell me that
> they will contact gvsig project.
>
> I do not know if that occur....???
>
> Each project have their goals.  why reinvent the well if joint
> development could be made.  Wait and see.

Marcel,

I think gvSIG, uDig (and you might also consider the JUMP family) have
quite different approaches at the GUI level.  But it seems to me that a
natural level of code to share would be things like file format drivers,
a projections library, and core geometry spatial operators (JTS).  Possibly
also additional GIS algorithms.

uDig is very GeoTools based, and the components that I think make sense to
share are those already in GeoTools.  So - hopefully that can become a natural
point of contact for sharing between various Java projects.

Also of note was recent discussion with regard to use of GeoTools by the JUMP
family of projects.  One of the suggestions that came out of that was that
JUMP utilize GeoTools data providers through the GeoAPI interface which is
quite stable compared to the internal GeoTools feature interfaces.  Perhaps
this approach would also make sense for gvSIG.