[Gvsig_english] Free But Shackled - The Java Trap

Mario Pisa mario.pisa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:40:18 CEST 2007

Hi,

In this old issue, Richard Stallman advise about warnings with Free Software
(Not Open Source) and Java, With the released OpenJDK, the FSF
congratulations to Sun for his decission, but he said "We must learn a
lesson from the history of Java, so we can avoid other traps in the
future.".

AFAIK, Sun licensed GPL for Java 5 and 6 (Mustang and Dolphin) and, in other
hand, libraries for images 2D are not GPL (for example JAI).

at this moment, if my knowledge is current, can I declare what gvSIG is
free? (yes, it's Open. But is Free?)

with the only spirit to generate a cordial debate that enrich us to all,

Mario