[Gvsig_english] gvSIG and potential "migrants": what to do with old AV projects? Idea for a new extension

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Sun Nov 18 20:33:33 CET 2007

Hello Marcel,
thanks for your message. Really, I also consider things like labeling and symbology as probably the most important features that need to be enhanced. But at least for the symbology I know that there will be shortly an enhanced symbology available. So do not worry too much. Same holds true for the labeling function. I think that the developers are working hard on this, too.
And the mentioned Import-Extension: well - we are in the same position: lots of AV 3.2 projects and a little bit scared to put ArcView aside. In my opinion, users should not hesitate to write down wishes on this list. It may be that theses wishes cannot be implemented "tomorrow", but at least we can show what we would like to have in gvSIG and that we care about the development.
Regarding the import tool of ArcGIS: I did not test this by now, sorry. I would expect them to be able to develop a working import function (but maybe they are not that interested...). All I can say is that my colleague wrote a program to convert ArcView odb-files into mapfiles for the UMN Mapserver. The result is quite encouraging, therefore, I would expect it to be possible. AND important.

Best,
Wolfgang

-------- Original-Nachricht --------