[Gvsig_english] BUG??? gvSIG 2.0 devel (and gvSIG 1.9 alpha) will not work correctly with "older" linux versions!

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Mon Dec 8 14:33:35 CET 2008

Hi list,
as written before, I thought that the latest prerelease of gvSIG would not
allow georeferencing at all.
Well, this is not true - the dialogue was just moved to another place (thanks,
Ben).
However, I still was not able to do the georeferencing on my machine (which is
a debian machine; cat /proc/version gives
Linux version 2.6.17-1-686 (Debian 2.6.17-5lhm7)
(jan-marek.glogowski at muenchen.de) (gcc-Version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)) #1
SMP Tue Oct 9 11:17:35 CEST 2007)
There, the georeferencing *just does not show up*.

However, when starting the same gvSIG-version on an other linux machine
(ubuntu 7.10, cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.22-15-generic (buildd at terranova) (gcc version 4.1.3 20070929
(prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)) #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 09:21:34 UTC 2008)
The georefercing dialogue is displayed.

I consider this as a *very* serious problem: the first linux distro described
above will be the standard for our office (City of Munich, Department of
Health and Environment). This distro is called LIMUX and it is especially
designed for the administration's purposes. Updating this distro always takes
much longer than compared to ubuntu. Therefore, we will *never* be up to
date. And I think that gvSIG should really also run not on the latest
releases. Especially administration is not as flexible as smaller companies
or private users. Please, please check this issue soon!

Best,
Wolfgang