[Gvsig_english] gvSIG organizational questions

Atle Frenvik Sveen atlefren at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Dec 10 09:55:21 CET 2008

Jorge Sanz wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: gvsig_internacional-bounces at runas.cap.gva.es [mailto:gvsig_internacional-
>> bounces at runas.cap.gva.es] On Behalf Of Atle Frenvik Sveen
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 12:05 PM
>> To: gvsig_internacional at runas.cap.gva.es
>> Subject: [Gvsig_english] gvSIG organizational questions
>>
>> Hello group!
>>

> Hi,

Hello and thanks for your reply! I have some additional questions and
comments.

>> I hope there are someone out there who can provide me answers to the
>> following questions. They are used in an evaluation of FOS Desktop GIS
>> projects I am writing. I couldn't find answers to these questions on the
>> gvSIG webpages (if they are listed someplace, please tell me)
>>
>> 1) Number of developers, who they are, how many and how long they have
>> been around (turnover rates)
>>

> Take a look a ohloh where gvSIG source code repository stats are being reported
>
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/gvsig

I have been gathering contributor statistics from ohloh.net (number of
uniqe contributors the last six months, according the the numbers I
gathered it was 24). I am also interested in wether the community itself
has some rough numbers, like for instance how many developers contribute
on a regular basis and how long they have been around. I guess it is
possible to gather statistics on this from ohloh.net too.

>> 2) The core developer team (or what it is called), what do one have do
>> to join, are there any requirements etc?
>>

> Well at this time the development of gvSIG is run by the Transports and Infrastructures Department of the Valencian Government (Conselleria d'Infraestructures I Transports). This department leads the project, with contracts with several companies and universities to develop the different parts of gvSIG.

So I gather that the core/leader group is only open to members of the
department, and no "core group" as in more traditional FOSS projects
(like apache for instance) exists?
>> 3) Sponsors of the project (as far as I can tell the Regional Council
>> for Infrastructures and Transportation in Valencia is involved, anyone
>> else sponsoring the project?)
>>

> Nowadays the Project is led by Conselleria, and the project is also founded by the European Union. On the other hand, the gvSIG conference is founded by different companies (see conf webpage).

So no companies are directly sponsoring the development of gvSIG?

>> 4) Is it a corporation or an independent foundation or the like (with
>> support from corporations) who are the project driver here?
>>

> Conselleria, as I said, is a public administration.

Thanks again for your answers!

-atle