[Gvsig_english] gvSIG organizational questions

Cesar Martinez Izquierdo cesar.martinez at iver.es
Wed Dec 10 14:59:46 CET 2008

Atle Frenvik Sveen escribió:

[SNIP]

 >>> 2) The core developer team (or what it is called), what do one have do
 >>> to join, are there any requirements etc?
 >>>

 >> Well at this time the development of gvSIG is run by the Transports
 >> and Infrastructures Department of the Valencian Government
 >> (Conselleria d'Infraestructures I Transports). This department leads
 >> the project, with contracts with several companies and universities to
 >> develop the different parts of gvSIG.
 >>

 > So I gather that the core/leader group is only open to members of the
 > department, and no "core group" as in more traditional FOSS projects
 > (like apache for instance) exists?

Hello Atle. The deparment is leading the development (funding,
coordinating, etc), but there are developers from several companies and
universities.

The project is open to any contribution, although we still don't have a
clear process to become a contributor (with SVN write permissions). A
good start point is to just send patches to the development mailing list
(as you would do for the Linux kernel, for example).

 >>> 3) Sponsors of the project (as far as I can tell the Regional Council
 >>> for Infrastructures and Transportation in Valencia is involved, anyone
 >>> else sponsoring the project?)
 >>>

>> Nowadays the Project is led by Conselleria, and the project is also
>> founded by the European Union. On the other hand, the gvSIG conference
>> is founded by different companies (see conf webpage).
>>
> So no companies are directly sponsoring the development of gvSIG?

It depends on what you consider as "sponsoring". My company (IVER), is
developing some features for other clients (besides Conselleria), and
these features are also being integrated in gvSIG. In these sense, IVER
(or rather our clients) are sponsoring gvSIG, too.

I hope it helps.

Regards!

--
César Martínez Izquierdo
gvSIG development team

IVER T.I.
C/ Lérida, 20
46009 Valencia - Spain
http://www.iver.es

Este mensaje y sus archivos son confidenciales. No está permitida su reproducción o distribución sin la autorización expresa de "IVER Tecnologías de la Información". Si usted no es el destinatario previsto, queda desautorizado cualquier uso, acceso o copia de este mensaje. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, por favor bórrelo e infórmenos por esta misma vía.