[Gvsig_english] Map symbols 1.9Alpha

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Dec 23 10:08:33 CET 2008

Hi Bruce,
the idea of starting a library for symbols is great. The only thing what we
would need in order to be able to "start working" would be a "collaboration
platform" e.g. a wiki or something else.
The gvSIG team already has a page, where some additional extensions for gvSIG
(developed by other users?) are available for download:
https://gvsig.org/plugins/downloads
Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the gvSIG-team, whether this could be
extended for user-contributed symbology. It would be very great, if we could
gather all user-contributed information.
Am Dienstag 23 Dezember 2008 05:47:53 schrieb Greening, Bruce:
> I have spent some time playing with the symbols part of 1.9, and am
> amazed what can be achieved. It would be great if users could start a
> library for distribution of standard symbols.
>
> While I have managed to figure out how to adapt existing symbols into
> new ones I wonder how one can start from scratch and create a new
> symbol. In particular I want to create a symbol for power transmission
> line which consists of a line that consists of "V" shapes joined up thus
> "VVVVVV"
I have tried to create a line like this, but failed. I tried to define the v
(character) as an arrow-decorator, but the spaces between the "v"s was
uneven. To my knowledge (so far), it is not possible to create a marker line
symbol with a marker following the angle of the underlying line. Therefore, I
tried the "arrow decorator" option.. Maybe someone else was more successful?

> I am looking forward to an English language manual as I am sure there is
> much I am missing using 'trial and error'
Oh yes. I am also looking forward for an English language manual! There are so
many things I do not understand (for example the new topology tools...)

Best,
Wolfgang