[Gvsig_english] installing non-supported extensions on gvSIG for OS X

Mijail hmijail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:56:24 CET 2008

gvSIG's extensions are usually installed with an installer made with
IzPack, which does not work correctly with OS X's bundles. That
usually means that Mac users have to wait until a special installer
is crafted for them, so sometimes they miss the fun while waiting for
official support.

So here we have a little applet that will help them out. This
application will create an auxiliar folder, just next to the selected
gvSIG, that IzPack installers will accept to intall to; the magic
thing is, the extension will really get installed into gvSIG.
So your only problem now is to find a IzPack installer that can be
run on OS X. The ones finishing in .jar are OK. The .jar can also be
extracted from the .bin Linux installers if you know a bit about
shell scripting.

Now, there are some limitations:
-- Remember, this is a hack to be able to try and play with new
things while waiting for official support. That is, THIS IS NOT
SUPPORTED. If you use this way of installing an extension, weird
errors could happen, and we won't be able to help you out in the mail
lists.
-- This can only work with pure java extensions: no native libraries
can be used. SEXTANTE is a good example of an interesting extension
which does not use native libraries and whose unstable versions are
published with a .jar installer, so it is a great candidate to be
used with this hack.

This should be a stopgap while we find a better way of dealing with
IzPack and/or "native" installers on OS X. We'll keep you posted. In
the meantime, feedback will be welcome.

Cheers!