[Gvsig_english] Congressional districts, a nicer US map

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Wed Feb 27 08:31:43 CET 2008

Hello, Roger

The shapefile with the congressional districts you mentioned uses an international coordinate system, in which the outline of the US does not look very good (Alaska and Maine, for example, look awful). Generally, US maps use a different (nicer) coordinate system and remote states like Alaska or Hawaii are re-scaled and moved to printer friendly (false) places. Here are some random examples:

http://images.google.es/images?hl=en&q=%22us+map%22&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I have changed the coordinate system of that shapefile to make it look nicer, and have moved Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico to the place they usually are in national US maps. If it's useful to you, you can download it from:

http://www.prodevelop.es/descarga/roger/us_nice_epsg_3083.zip

All the shapes still have the official congressional district ID, of course, so you can map as many bills as you like, and with gvSIG's symbology and layout options, your maps will look as nice as this one:

http://www.prodevelop.es/descarga/roger/1585.pdf

(Perhaps you don't even need to know this, but in the new shapefile, the US mainland is in the coordinate system EPSG:3083)

Cheers,

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio
Prodevelop SL, Valencia (España)
Tlf.: 96.351.06.12 -- Fax: 96.351.09.68