[Gvsig_english] Problems connecting to remote PostGIS-Server

Thomas Gunzelmann Tom.Gunzelmann at t-online.de
Thu Feb 28 19:47:32 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm very *enthusiastic*  about gvSIG. For me it is the best under all
the open source GIS-programs. Therefore I  decided to help to translate
the program and the manual into German.

But I still have one big problem. I need to connect to a remote
PostGIS-Server, where I only have read permission. On my home system, I'
am able to connect to PostGIS without Problems, but it don't work with
the remote server.

I can connect to the server, I can see the remote tables and even their
fields and I can even try to load them into gvSIG. It seems to do this,
but it doesn't show me the geometries in the view window. When I try to
zoom in or out, then the mini icon with the cross quickly shines up.

I wouldn't be surprised about this, because gvSIG seems to be in heavy
development and errors may be occuring. But all my other open source
programs like QuantumGIS, UDig und OpenJump are able to connect and to
show me the geometries on the same machine and with the same remote server.

The log File shows no error, at least in my opinion, but  the experts
may judge this better then me.

I append my log-file to this posting.

Best Regards

Tom Gunzelmann