[Gvsig_english] my svg images failed to work in gvsig

grossosilvio grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Wed Jan 2 19:19:17 CET 2008

Hello everybody,

I am using gvsig 1.1 portable with windows xp home edition service pack
2 installed on my notebook (a fujitusu siemens amilo; cpu centrino duo
T2400 1,83 GHz, 2 GB RAM).

I am trying to load in the map some svg images but none of them work. I
always get the error message: java.lang.NullPointerException.

More precisely, I drew some North images with Inkscape and saved them as
svg. I checked all of them with gimp and scribus. I copied them in the
folder of gvsig together with the default North images, after that, all
of them failed to work. When I delete my images in the folder everything
works again. At present, I am stuck using the original symbols.
I drew, with much pain, 50 svg North images and I would prefer using
them. You can get all them for free at: http://www.gfoss.it/drupal/simboli.

I read the manual both in the English and the Spanish version but I
can’t understand what it’s wrong.
The English version of the manual explains that: you can add new symbols
by copying them in the folder:
bin/gvSIG/extensiones/com.iver.cit.gvsig/northimages of the folder where
you have installed gvSIG in.
The acceptable format for North symbols is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics).
To add a new North symbol you will need to use an external application
(such as Inkscape http://www.inkscape.org). Moreover, in order to ensure
that the new North symbol will be correctly processed by gvSIG, it is
better to base it on one of the default symbols suggested by gvSIG.

>From what I verified it seems to me that the north images installed in
gvsig by default are 450x500 px; x-y ratio 1, resolution 90 dpi. I
modified some of my images with Inkscape in order to make them “alike”
but It didn’t work. Certainly, I have been doing something wrong.

When I change method and I import them as simple images all of them work
only in the png format but, strangely enough, not in svg. The manual of
gvsig claims that after the 0.4 version it is possible to import svg
images. Obviously, it’s a good workaround but, especially with the
version 1.1 portable of gvsig, I would prefer to have them all together
in the folder “northimages”.

I know svg format is very tricky to handle for a software but, maybe,
someone knows what to do to make it “easier” for gvsig.

By the way, does anyone know when the 1.2 version of gvsig could be
released?
I am looking forward to testing it!

Best regards and happy new year to everybody.

Silvio Grosso

P.s: I attached a zip file with the log error file and 5 of my North
arrows images in svg that fail to work (they are fine as png).