[Gvsig_english] gvsig, databases and multiuser-access::current status and plans

Miguel Montesinos mmontesinos at prodevelop.es
Mon Jan 21 17:33:52 CET 2008

Hi Wolfgang,

Unfortunately, there is no locking mechanism implemented for database concurrent updates. A lot has been told about long-term transactions in the FOSS4G community (what ArcSDE provides among other things), but AFAIK there is no solution yet.

A good solution is being followed by GeoServer, through versioned-WFS, but it's not available in full GIS stacks yet. Other simple solutions would be to use a parallel locking mechanism made ad-hoc without RDBMS locking capabilites, with some server-based solution. But nowadays it's not being addressed.

Maybe it should be time to find resources and funds to such requirements.

Regards

Miguel Montesinos
Director Técnico
PRODEVELOP