[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual wolfgang.qual at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 12:45:35 CEST 2008

Hello Marcel,
> I do not know the printing capability of Qgis.  But, for arcmap on
> window, the printing is alway problematic.  If you include picture,
> the color is impossible to ajust betwen the picture and the map.  The
> output in ps or pdf have also problems.  After many years of problems
> with the prepress we finaly, like said before, export in tiff, finish
> in photoshop so they can, in prepress, ajust the color with photoshop
> if necessary.
This is interesting. I am not really aware of the problems regarding printing
in ArcGIS, but a colleague of mine created that cycle map using ArcGIS and
Acrobat distiller I think.

> So, export in tiff should be on the export option.
I agree that tiff should be one of the export formats of gvSIG
> Ps is nice but,
> depend also on the computer you use, you need to be able to convert
> all symbology and fonts to be sure the prepress can replicate your
> work.
I think that ps is *standard* and you should be able to embedd all
symbology/fonts in that file.
> Also the rendering depend on the prepress computer when parsing
> ps since mac and pc doesn't have the same color profile.
But it can be handled.

> So the output should be offer in ps, pdf/x3 or so, and in raster tiff,
> png  etc.  But, what is lacking in arcmpap is a color profile to have
> the same output on any type of computer and type of export for prepress.
I agree. Thanks for your comments!

Best,
Wolfgang