[Gvsig_english] Some questions regarding printing

Wolfgang Qual Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net
Wed Jul 30 12:33:04 CEST 2008

Hello Cesar and all others,
thanks for your message. Good to get some information from the devlopers' side...
> Thanks for all your ideas, suggestions and comments. For sure we'd like
> to have professional printing in gvSIG, but our resources are limited,
> and we are not currently putting effort on that field. As far as I know,
>    there is no big improvements for printing in 2.0 (except the new
> symbology and smart labelling, which will be also applied to maps, of
> course).
yes, it was already said in this list, that v 2.0 won't include much improvements regarding printing (Nevertheless, everyone is waiting for it to be available).

> However, I'd like to remark that this is an open source project, so we
> will be happy if someone wants to push gvSIG in this field (either by
> developing himself or by sponsoring developers).
I think that gvSIG-users are aware of that. We know that also in the case of gvSIG not everything is appearing from nowhere ;)  - my idea was to start a discussion about the actual needs of the users. I could imagine that some of us are willing to support the development via sponsoring (or not? Users opinion?). Of course, it *is* important for the users to know what is foreseen for gvSIG within this field (what will come and won't). It seems to me as if gvSIG would be very flexible regarding features that could be added - please correct me, if you do not agree.

> I think that some improvements may be performed with little effort. For
> example, map export to image formats, or fixing some bugs. Other tasks,
> however, could be quite bigger, such us PDF/X3.
Could you provide some more details? What formats (and options) could be easily added? I am thinking about image resolution for example. Right now, the quality of the image export files is relatively poor (AFAIK not much better than screenshots). Tiff-format was mentioned by Marcel, eps (with flexible resolution) was used by my colleague within ArcMap...
And to all users: wouldn't it be nice to create a list of all features that we would like to have (for printing)? It would give us a better overview, I think.

Thanks and all the best,
Wolfgang
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx